Touring Eastern State Penitentiary
After being sidelined with the flu during my last trip to Philadelphia, I finally got a chance to explore Eastern State Penitentiary. I opted for the audio tour, narrated by Steve Buscemi, which makes perfect sense for some reason. I’m not usually an “tour” person. I tend to explore, read informational signs, and just try to absorb what I can from the experience. If I had time however, I would have taken a proper guided tour, as I would have be acclimated to my surroundings. Touring Eastern State Penitentiary did not disappoint. It’s in a state of “arrested decay”, just enough to keep the structure, well a structure, without doing too much to stand in the way of it’s abandoned state.
Eastern State Penitentiary is a model for prisons around the world, and a pioneer of rehabilitation rather than just strictly incarceration. Al Capone and bank robber Willie Sutton (and his short lived escape) were a few of the prisons famous guests. ESP as it’s sometimes referred, also provided the location for films like 12 Monkeys, Transformers: Rise of the Fallen, and famously (to me), the music video for the Dead Milkmen’s “Punk Rock Girl”.
Check out the episode of Ghost Town where we really get into my experience touring Eastern State Penitentiary.
Willie Sutton and 11 other inmates made there escape in this cell.
One of two cells that may have been Al Capone’s. This is what they believe it looked like during his stay.
- August 2019 2
- July 2019 5
- Jun 29, 2019 The North Hollywood Shootout
- Jun 26, 2019 The Northridge Earthquake: 25 Years Ago
- Jun 22, 2019 The Haunted Knickerbocker Hotel
- Jun 19, 2019 The Unsolved Villisca Axe Murders
- Jun 15, 2019 Murder on Greyhound Bus 1170
- Jun 12, 2019 Discover The Integratron Sound Bath
- Jun 4, 2019 5 Worst Amusement Park Ride Accidents
- May 22, 2019 Touring Eastern State Penitentiary
- April 2019 3
- March 2019 3
- Feb 19, 2019 Dismaland: Banksy's Bemusement Theme Park
- Jan 30, 2019 The Unsolved Wonderland Murders
- Jan 8, 2019 Action Park: The World's Most Dangerous New Jersey Amusement Park
- Jan 3, 2019 The Hawthorne Mall - How the Abandoned Plaza Looks in 2019
- Jan 3, 2019 Exploring The Berlin Wall East Side Gallery
- Dec 16, 2018 Haunted Stanley Hotel and The Shining
- Dec 12, 2018 Haunted History of Alcatraz
- Dec 6, 2018 The Landmark Motor Hotel: The Death of Janis Joplin
- Dec 5, 2018 Anton LaVey's Black House & The Church of Satan
- Dec 2, 2018 Haunted Hotel Hell
- Nov 8, 2018 Exploring the Bone Church in Kunta Hora Outside Prague
- Nov 3, 2018 5 Chilling Facts About the Cecil Hotel
- Oct 1, 2018 Famous Movie and TV Homes in Los Angeles
- September 2018 5