5 Chilling Facts About the Cecil Hotel (Crime Scene: The Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel)
5 Chilling Facts About the Cecil Hotel
The Cecil Hotel Facts
The Cecil Hotel in downtown Los Angeles has it’s share of chilling facts. When it comes to things haunted and unfortunate, this hotel had the market cornered. The Cecil Hotel in the Skid Row district of downtown Los Angeles is arguably the most haunted hotel in Los Angeles. I have also included it my 5 Most Haunted Places in California post which you can read here. The Cecil’s haunted legacy goes all the way back to The Great Depression. Opening in 1924, it was only a few years before the Depression filled the hotel with transients, and suicides on the regular. You can listen to the Ghost Town Podcast episode on the Cecil Hotel here. Let’s check out 5 chilling facts about the Cecil Hotel.
1. The Black Dahlia
Elizabeth Short, better known as the Black Dahlia was rumored to have had her last drink at the hotel bar in 1947. She turned up dead just a few miles away only days later.
2. The Night Stalker
Richard Ramirez, better know as “The Night Stalker”, convicted of a laundry list of heinous crimes, lived at the Cecil in 1985 during his murder spree.
3. The Unidentified Woman
In 1975, a still unidentified woman jumped from her 12th floor window onto the Cecil's second-floor roof. It’s important for me to note how something relatively recent can be so mysterious, or at least lack so much basic, yet crucial information. Especially considering she registered with the hotel 4 days previous.
4. Jack Unterweger
Austrian serial killer Jack Unterweger lived in the Cecil in 1991. Perhaps to feel a kinship to fellow serial killer Richard Ramirez.
5. Elisa Lam
The most recent head scratcher at the Cecil was the mysterious case of Elisa Lam. As far as unsolved mysterious go, this one will continue to be one of the most fascinating. The Guardian explains: “An inspection of the cistern on the hotel’s roof, the naked body of 21-year-old Elisa Lam, a Chinese-Canadian tourist who had been decomposing for roughly 19 days. Elevator security footage shows Lam, who suffered from bipolar disorder, acting erratically, alternately hiding in the corner of the elevator and dashing in and out. At one point, she gesticulates as if addressing an unseen figure. Police ruled her death an accidental drowning.” Accident? Or perhaps another victim of the Cecil Hotel? You can see the bizarre security camera footage below.
- Nov 12, 2021 The Rise and Fall of the Futuro Home
- Sep 11, 2021 The Man Who Killed Halloween (Roland Clark O'Bryan
- Jul 14, 2021 Top 6 Defunct/Abandoned Amusement Parks in the USA
- May 20, 2021 The Delphi Murders Update
- April 2021 2
- Mar 29, 2021 What Is It Like To Live In A Real Haunted House?
- Mar 24, 2021 The Cecil Hotel Elisa Lam Mystery
- Mar 16, 2021 The Old Los Angeles Zoo
- Mar 12, 2021 What Happened to DHL Founder Larry Hillblom?
- Mar 10, 2021 Emperor Norton: America’s San Francisco Emperor
- Mar 6, 2021 The Haunted Ebay Painting | The Hands Resist Him
- Mar 3, 2021 The Dating Game Killer (Rodney Alcala)
- Feb 26, 2021 Did Unsolved Mysteries Ever Solve a Mystery?
- Feb 26, 2021 The Mysterious Kryptos CIA Sculpture
- Feb 25, 2021 The 7 Wives of Jerry Lee Lewis
- Feb 24, 2021 The Jenny Jones Show Murder
- Feb 20, 2021 The True Story Behind Netflix Drama Lost Girls
- Feb 17, 2021 The I Feel Fantastic Video Mystery
- Feb 10, 2021 Dyatlov Pass Incident Mystery Solved?
- Feb 9, 2021 5 Chilling Facts About the Cecil Hotel (Crime Scene: The Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel)
- Feb 8, 2021 5 Most Scariest Haunted Places in California (Cecil Hotel & More)
- Feb 8, 2021 The World's First Text Message
- Feb 8, 2021 Curse of the Power Rangers
- Feb 5, 2021 Pepsi AM Breakfast Soda Disaster
- Feb 5, 2021 The 1984 Apple Macintosh Super Bowl Commercial Story
- Feb 4, 2021 Miss American Vampire Beauty Contest
- Feb 1, 2021 The Hawthorne Mall - How the Abandoned Plaza Looks in 2021
- January 2021 3
- Dec 15, 2020 Who Is Benjaman Kyle?
- October 2020 4
- Sep 10, 2020 Action Park: The World's Most Dangerous Amusement Park
- Sep 4, 2020 The Los Feliz Murder House in Los Angeles ☠️
- Sep 2, 2020 The Toxic Lady Death Mystery
- Aug 11, 2020 Atomic Bomb Tourism in 1950's Las Vegas
- July 2020 2
- Jun 17, 2020 Chronovisor Vatican Time Travel Viewer
- May 2020 2
- Apr 7, 2020 Why is Poveglia Plague Island Off Limits?
- March 2020 5
- February 2020 3
- Jan 29, 2020 The Philadelphia MOVE Bombing
- Dec 30, 2019 Y2K Panic: 20 Years Later
- Dec 25, 2019 Killer Santa: Covina Christmas Massacre
- Dec 15, 2019 The Enfield Poltergeist: London's Most Famous Haunting
- Dec 8, 2019 Dorm of Death's Richard Speck
- Dec 8, 2019 Star Wars Holiday Special Disaster
- Nov 20, 2019 The Crystal Skull
- October 2019 2
- September 2019 3
- August 2019 3
- July 2019 5
- Jun 29, 2019 The North Hollywood Shootout
- Jun 26, 2019 The Northridge Earthquake: 25 Years Ago
- Jun 22, 2019 The Haunted Knickerbocker Hotel
- Jun 19, 2019 The Unsolved Villisca Axe Murders
- Jun 15, 2019 Murder on Greyhound Bus 1170
- Jun 12, 2019 Discover The Integratron Sound Bath
- Jun 4, 2019 5 Worst Amusement Park Ride Accidents
- May 22, 2019 Touring Eastern State Penitentiary
- April 2019 3
- March 2019 2
- Feb 19, 2019 Dismaland: Banksy's Bemusement Theme Park
- January 2019 2
- Dec 16, 2018 Haunted Stanley Hotel and The Shining
- Dec 12, 2018 Haunted History of Alcatraz
- Dec 6, 2018 The Landmark Motor Hotel: The Death of Janis Joplin
- Dec 5, 2018 Anton LaVey's Black House & The Church of Satan
- Dec 2, 2018 Haunted Hotel Hell
- November 2018 1
- Oct 1, 2018 Famous Movie and TV Homes in Los Angeles
- September 2018 3
The Cecil Hotel has been rebranded as the Stay on Main Hotel. The hotel retains the city landmark status, and you can still see the remnants of the original Cecil Hotel signage.