5 Chilling Facts About the Cecil Hotel
The Cecil Hotel Facts
The Cecil Hotel in downtown Los Angeles has it’s share of chilling facts. When it comes to things haunted and unfortunate, this hotel had the market cornered. The Cecil Hotel in the Skid Row district of downtown Los Angeles is arguably the most haunted hotel in Los Angeles. I have also included it my 5 Most Haunted Places in California post which you can read here. The Cecil’s haunted legacy goes all the way back to The Great Depression. Opening in 1924, it was only a few years before the Depression filled the hotel with transients, and suicides on the regular. You can listen to the Ghost Town Podcast episode on the Cecil Hotel here. Let’s check out 5 chilling facts about the Cecil Hotel.
1. The Black Dahlia
Elizabeth Short, better known as the Black Dahlia was rumored to have had her last drink at the hotel bar in 1947. She turned up dead just a few miles away only days later.
2. The Night Stalker
Richard Ramirez, better know as “The Night Stalker”, convicted of a laundry list of heinous crimes, lived at the Cecil in 1985 during his murder spree.
3. The Unidentified Woman
In 1975, a still unidentified woman jumped from her 12th floor window onto the Cecil's second-floor roof. It’s important for me to note how something relatively recent can be so mysterious, or at least lack so much basic, yet crucial information. Especially considering she registered with the hotel 4 days previous.
4. Jack Unterweger
Austrian serial killer Jack Unterweger lived in the Cecil in 1991. Perhaps to feel a kinship to fellow serial killer Richard Ramirez.
5. Elisa Lam
The most recent head scratcher at the Cecil was the mysterious case of Elisa Lam. As far as unsolved mysterious go, this one will continue to be one of the most fascinating. The Guardian explains: “An inspection of the cistern on the hotel’s roof, the naked body of 21-year-old Elisa Lam, a Chinese-Canadian tourist who had been decomposing for roughly 19 days. Elevator security footage shows Lam, who suffered from bipolar disorder, acting erratically, alternately hiding in the corner of the elevator and dashing in and out. At one point, she gesticulates as if addressing an unseen figure. Police ruled her death an accidental drowning.” Accident? Or perhaps another victim of the Cecil Hotel? You can see the bizarre security camera footage below.
- Apr 7, 2020 Why is Poveglia Plague Island Off Limits?
- Mar 30, 2020 Brinks Truck Robbery of 1981
- Mar 26, 2020 ROAR: The Most Dangerous Movie Ever Made
- Mar 20, 2020 The Toxic Lady Death Mystery
- Mar 19, 2020 The Somerton Man Cold Case Mystery
- Mar 17, 2020 The Johnny Carson Toilet Paper Panic of 1973
- Mar 13, 2020 America's Most Surreal Abandoned Malls
- Mar 5, 2020 Revisiting the Battle of Los Angeles
- February 2020 3
- Jan 29, 2020 The Philadelphia MOVE Bombing
- Jan 3, 2020 The Hawthorne Mall - How the Abandoned Plaza Looks in 2020
- Dec 30, 2019 Y2K Panic: 20 Years Later
- Dec 25, 2019 Killer Santa: Covina Christmas Massacre
- Dec 15, 2019 The Enfield Poltergeist: London's Most Famous Haunting
- Dec 8, 2019 Dorm of Death's Richard Speck
- Dec 8, 2019 Star Wars Holiday Special Disaster
- Nov 20, 2019 The Crystal Skull
- October 2019 3
- September 2019 3
- August 2019 3
- July 2019 5
- Jun 29, 2019 The North Hollywood Shootout
- Jun 26, 2019 The Northridge Earthquake: 25 Years Ago
- Jun 22, 2019 The Haunted Knickerbocker Hotel
- Jun 19, 2019 The Unsolved Villisca Axe Murders
- Jun 15, 2019 Murder on Greyhound Bus 1170
- Jun 12, 2019 Discover The Integratron Sound Bath
- Jun 4, 2019 5 Worst Amusement Park Ride Accidents
- May 22, 2019 Touring Eastern State Penitentiary
- April 2019 3
- March 2019 3
- Feb 19, 2019 Dismaland: Banksy's Bemusement Theme Park
- Jan 30, 2019 The Unsolved Wonderland Murders
- Jan 8, 2019 Action Park: The World's Most Dangerous New Jersey Amusement Park
- Jan 3, 2019 Exploring The Berlin Wall East Side Gallery
- Dec 16, 2018 Haunted Stanley Hotel and The Shining
- Dec 12, 2018 Haunted History of Alcatraz
- Dec 6, 2018 The Landmark Motor Hotel: The Death of Janis Joplin
- Dec 5, 2018 Anton LaVey's Black House & The Church of Satan
- Dec 2, 2018 Haunted Hotel Hell
- Nov 8, 2018 Exploring the Bone Church in Kunta Hora Outside Prague
- Nov 3, 2018 5 Chilling Facts About the Cecil Hotel
- Oct 1, 2018 Famous Movie and TV Homes in Los Angeles
- September 2018 5
The Cecil Hotel has been rebranded as the Stay on Main Hotel. The hotel retains the city landmark status, and you can still see the remnants of the original Cecil Hotel signage.