Anton Lavey's Black House & The Church of Satan
No one can ever say that San Francisco isn’t a truly eclectic city. One glaring example is Anton Lavey’s Black House. The Black House formerly stood at 6114 California St. in San Francisco, CA. The house was headquarters for the Church of Satan from 1966 until his death in 1997.
Within the house various rituals, black masses, and services occured. Most notoriously the highly publicized Satanic baptism of Lavey’s 3 year old daughter Zeena took place in 1967.
The members of the Church of Satan tried unsuccessfully to raise funds to purchase the house. The Black House was demolished on October 17, 2001. LaVey lost ownership of the house in 1991 as a separation settlement from Diane Hegarty, but LaVey was allowed to live at the Black House until his death.
I contacted the Church of Satan looking for a little insight on any possible hauntings. Here is the response from the church’s High Priest, Peter H. Gilmore:
“The house was never considered to be haunted or otherwise subject to paranormal activity. We stayed in it a number of times when visiting Anton LaVey. It has long been demolished and the new residential structure in its place does not even have the original street address, which was 6114 California Street.”
Here is the The Black House location today.
- March 2019 3
- Feb 19, 2019 Dismaland: Banksy's Anti-Amusement Park
- Jan 30, 2019 The Unsolved Wonderland Murders
- Jan 8, 2019 Action Park: The World's Most Dangerous Amusement Park
- Jan 3, 2019 Exploring The Berlin Wall East Side Gallery
- Dec 16, 2018 Haunted Stanley Hotel and The Shining
- Dec 12, 2018 Haunted History of Alcatraz
- Dec 6, 2018 The Landmark Motor Hotel: The Death of Janis Joplin
- Dec 5, 2018 Anton Lavey's Black House & The Church of Satan
- Dec 2, 2018 Haunted Hotel Hell
- Nov 8, 2018 Exploring the Bone Church in Kunta Hora Outside Prague
- Nov 3, 2018 5 Chilling Facts About the Cecil Hotel
- Oct 1, 2018 Famous Movie and TV Homes in Los Angeles
- September 2018 6