Dismaland: Banksy's Anti-Amusement Park
I first became aware of Banksy when I moved to Los Angeles in 2006. His art would grace the sides of building on Melrose Avenue. I knew the art before I heard of the artist. I can only assume that’s the way Banksy prefers it. When I heard about Dismaland, I wanted to be there. I love the UK, and I love the darker, more chaotic, and obviously, abandoned element of amusement parks. Due to the short life span and “pop up” element, I couldn’t make it happen. That doesn’t stop me from having wanderlust over Banksy’s Dismaland.
Dismaland was a temporary art project/installation organized, created and by Banksy. It was constructed in Weston-super-Mare in Somerset, England. Prepped in secret (under the “film” title Grey Fox), the pop-up exhibition was located at an out of commission pool called The Tropicana It was open for business during the weekend of August 21st, and closed on September 27th, 2015. It is described as a “sinister twist on Disneyland", and described it as a "family theme park unsuitable for children." The official brochure states, “Are you looking for an alternative to the soulless sugar-coated banality of the average family day out? Or just somewhere cheaper” Tickets were sold for £3 a piece, and 4,000 patrons were allowed to enter per day, with 150,000 people visiting the park by the end of its run.
Even though Dismaland might be dead and gone, you can take a 360º tour in the video below.
- May 22, 2019 Touring Eastern State Penitentiary
- April 2019 3
- March 2019 3
- Feb 19, 2019 Dismaland: Banksy's Anti-Amusement Park
- Jan 30, 2019 The Unsolved Wonderland Murders
- Jan 8, 2019 Action Park: The World's Most Dangerous Amusement Park
- Jan 3, 2019 Exploring The Berlin Wall East Side Gallery
- Dec 16, 2018 Haunted Stanley Hotel and The Shining
- Dec 12, 2018 Haunted History of Alcatraz
- Dec 6, 2018 The Landmark Motor Hotel: The Death of Janis Joplin
- Dec 5, 2018 Anton Lavey's Black House & The Church of Satan
- Dec 2, 2018 Haunted Hotel Hell
- Nov 8, 2018 Exploring the Bone Church in Kunta Hora Outside Prague
- Nov 3, 2018 5 Chilling Facts About the Cecil Hotel
- Oct 1, 2018 Famous Movie and TV Homes in Los Angeles
- September 2018 6