5 Iconic London Album Cover Locations
Whether you are a fan of music, art, or culture in general, you know an iconic album cover when you see it. You don’t need to know one song or even one note from the album, but you recognize the album cover.
When I was young I would stare at my father’s record collection, I would play the album, and study the artwork and liner notes. They both went hand in hand for me. As time went on I was obsessed with finding where the original album covers originated.
When considering iconic album covers, at least for me, London is the mecca of locations. During a recent trip to London, I managed to find a few. I couldn’t get to a few of the other iconic album cover locations, but that just gives me an excuse to go back to London.
Here are 5 Iconic London Album Cover Locations:
The Clash - “The Clash” - Camden Market
As a kid, The Clash defined punk, London, and rebellion to me. Their iconic first album didn’t need an album title, it just WAS. Politically and socially charged anthems such as “White Riot”, and “I’m So Bored with the USA” took no prisoners. The rehearsal space is gone, but from what I recall there is a shop with Doc Martnens that now inhabit where The Clash did their thing. If you are into revisiting iconic London album cover locations, add this to your list.
2. David Bowie - “Ziggy Stardust” - 23 Heddon St
A David Bowie landmark is a must-do. The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust & the Spiders from Mars album is at the top of that list. The album cover has Bowie stepping out into the cool 70’s London night. Now it’s more of a posh street with an outdoor eatery vibe. However a plaque commemorates this sacred rock n’ roll location.
3. The Beatles - “Abbey Road” - 3 Abbey Road
I had the fortune of visiting Abbey Road twice. The first time I was working with YouTube in London for the YouTube Music Awards. The party was held in Abbey Road Studios. I played the piano Lady Madonna was written on. My second trip was just a trip to the outside and of course the famous Abbey Road crosswalk. I recall taking a very dangerous 2am post-party version of this photo as well. It’s generally always being crossed for photos, and in a somewhat high traffic area. However, as you can imagine, that doesn’t stop anyone from taking their version of Abbey Road.
4. Oasis - “What's The Story (Morning Glory)?” - Berwick St, Soho
Oasis really defined and solidified the 1990’s for me, and this album especially. I didn’t have time to fit this one into my schedule, but on my next trip to London, I will make the time to visit this very iconic album cover location.
5. Morrissey - “Under The Influence” - The Grave Maurice Pub, Whitechapel
Last, but certainly not least, a Morrissey related location. Another one I did not have time for unfortunately. A lot of The Smiths/Morrissey locations are not in London, but this one will be on my list even though the Grave Maurice is closed.
According to closedpubs.co.uk, ”In the 1960's the Kray Twins were regulars here and in 2003 the a picture of the Grave Maurice was featured on the cover of Under the Influence, a compilation album of tracks put together by Morrissey. Although it has now closed and has been turned into a Paddy Power betting shop the words "Grave Maurice Rebuilt 1874" are stiil engraved on the first floor wall.”
If you are familiar with Morrissey’s The Last of the Famous International Playboys”, he makes reference to the Krays.
- August 2019 2
- July 2019 5
- Jun 29, 2019 The North Hollywood Shootout
- Jun 26, 2019 The Northridge Earthquake: 25 Years Ago
- Jun 22, 2019 The Haunted Knickerbocker Hotel
- Jun 19, 2019 The Unsolved Villisca Axe Murders
- Jun 15, 2019 Murder on Greyhound Bus 1170
- Jun 12, 2019 Discover The Integratron Sound Bath
- Jun 4, 2019 5 Worst Amusement Park Ride Accidents
- May 22, 2019 Touring Eastern State Penitentiary
- April 2019 3
- March 2019 3
- Feb 19, 2019 Dismaland: Banksy's Bemusement Theme Park
- Jan 30, 2019 The Unsolved Wonderland Murders
- Jan 8, 2019 Action Park: The World's Most Dangerous New Jersey Amusement Park
- Jan 3, 2019 The Hawthorne Mall - How the Abandoned Plaza Looks in 2019
- Jan 3, 2019 Exploring The Berlin Wall East Side Gallery
- Dec 16, 2018 Haunted Stanley Hotel and The Shining
- Dec 12, 2018 Haunted History of Alcatraz
- Dec 6, 2018 The Landmark Motor Hotel: The Death of Janis Joplin
- Dec 5, 2018 Anton LaVey's Black House & The Church of Satan
- Dec 2, 2018 Haunted Hotel Hell
- Nov 8, 2018 Exploring the Bone Church in Kunta Hora Outside Prague
- Nov 3, 2018 5 Chilling Facts About the Cecil Hotel
- Oct 1, 2018 Famous Movie and TV Homes in Los Angeles
- September 2018 5