5 Iconic London Album Cover Locations
Whether you are a fan of music, art, or culture in general, you know an iconic album cover when you see it. You don’t need to know one song or even one note from the album, but you recognize the album cover.
When I was young I would stare at my father’s record collection, I would play the album, and study the artwork and liner notes. They both went hand in hand for me. As time went on I was obsessed with finding where the original album covers originated.
When considering iconic album covers, at least for me, London is the mecca of locations. During a recent trip to London, I managed to find a few. I couldn’t get to a few of the other iconic album cover locations, but that just gives me an excuse to go back to London.
Here are 5 Iconic London Album Cover Locations:
The Clash - “The Clash” - Camden Market
As a kid, The Clash defined punk, London, and rebellion to me. Their iconic first album didn’t need an album title, it just WAS. Politically and socially charged anthems such as “White Riot”, and “I’m So Bored with the USA” took no prisoners. The rehearsal space is gone, but from what I recall there is a shop with Doc Martnens that now inhabit where The Clash did their thing. If you are into revisiting iconic London album cover locations, add this to your list.
2. David Bowie - “Ziggy Stardust” - 23 Heddon St
A David Bowie landmark is a must-do. The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust & the Spiders from Mars album is at the top of that list. The album cover has Bowie stepping out into the cool 70’s London night. Now it’s more of a posh street with an outdoor eatery vibe. However a plaque commemorates this sacred rock n’ roll location.
3. The Beatles - “Abbey Road” - 3 Abbey Road
I had the fortune of visiting Abbey Road twice. The first time I was working with YouTube in London for the YouTube Music Awards. The party was held in Abbey Road Studios. I played the piano Lady Madonna was written on. My second trip was just a trip to the outside and of course the famous Abbey Road crosswalk. I recall taking a very dangerous 2am post-party version of this photo as well. It’s generally always being crossed for photos, and in a somewhat high traffic area. However, as you can imagine, that doesn’t stop anyone from taking their version of Abbey Road.
4. Oasis - “What's The Story (Morning Glory)?” - Berwick St, Soho
Oasis really defined and solidified the 1990’s for me, and this album especially. I didn’t have time to fit this one into my schedule, but on my next trip to London, I will make the time to visit this very iconic album cover location.
5. Morrissey - “Under The Influence” - The Grave Maurice Pub, Whitechapel
Last, but certainly not least, a Morrissey related location. Another one I did not have time for unfortunately. A lot of The Smiths/Morrissey locations are not in London, but this one will be on my list even though the Grave Maurice is closed.
According to closedpubs.co.uk, ”In the 1960's the Kray Twins were regulars here and in 2003 the a picture of the Grave Maurice was featured on the cover of Under the Influence, a compilation album of tracks put together by Morrissey. Although it has now closed and has been turned into a Paddy Power betting shop the words "Grave Maurice Rebuilt 1874" are stiil engraved on the first floor wall.”
If you are familiar with Morrissey’s The Last of the Famous International Playboys”, he makes reference to the Krays.
- Nov 12, 2021 The Rise and Fall of the Futuro Home
- Sep 11, 2021 The Man Who Killed Halloween (Roland Clark O'Bryan
- Jul 14, 2021 Top 6 Defunct/Abandoned Amusement Parks in the USA
- May 20, 2021 The Delphi Murders Update
- April 2021 2
- Mar 29, 2021 What Is It Like To Live In A Real Haunted House?
- Mar 24, 2021 The Cecil Hotel Elisa Lam Mystery
- Mar 16, 2021 The Old Los Angeles Zoo
- Mar 12, 2021 What Happened to DHL Founder Larry Hillblom?
- Mar 10, 2021 Emperor Norton: America’s San Francisco Emperor
- Mar 6, 2021 The Haunted Ebay Painting | The Hands Resist Him
- Mar 3, 2021 The Dating Game Killer (Rodney Alcala)
- Feb 26, 2021 Did Unsolved Mysteries Ever Solve a Mystery?
- Feb 26, 2021 The Mysterious Kryptos CIA Sculpture
- Feb 25, 2021 The 7 Wives of Jerry Lee Lewis
- Feb 24, 2021 The Jenny Jones Show Murder
- Feb 20, 2021 The True Story Behind Netflix Drama Lost Girls
- Feb 17, 2021 The I Feel Fantastic Video Mystery
- Feb 10, 2021 Dyatlov Pass Incident Mystery Solved?
- Feb 9, 2021 5 Chilling Facts About the Cecil Hotel (Crime Scene: The Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel)
- Feb 8, 2021 5 Most Scariest Haunted Places in California (Cecil Hotel & More)
- Feb 8, 2021 The World's First Text Message
- Feb 8, 2021 Curse of the Power Rangers
- Feb 5, 2021 Pepsi AM Breakfast Soda Disaster
- Feb 5, 2021 The 1984 Apple Macintosh Super Bowl Commercial Story
- Feb 4, 2021 Miss American Vampire Beauty Contest
- Feb 1, 2021 The Hawthorne Mall - How the Abandoned Plaza Looks in 2021
- January 2021 3
- Dec 15, 2020 Who Is Benjaman Kyle?
- October 2020 4
- Sep 10, 2020 Action Park: The World's Most Dangerous Amusement Park
- Sep 4, 2020 The Los Feliz Murder House in Los Angeles ☠️
- Sep 2, 2020 The Toxic Lady Death Mystery
- Aug 11, 2020 Atomic Bomb Tourism in 1950's Las Vegas
- July 2020 2
- Jun 17, 2020 Chronovisor Vatican Time Travel Viewer
- May 2020 2
- Apr 7, 2020 Why is Poveglia Plague Island Off Limits?
- March 2020 5
- February 2020 3
- Jan 29, 2020 The Philadelphia MOVE Bombing
- Dec 30, 2019 Y2K Panic: 20 Years Later
- Dec 25, 2019 Killer Santa: Covina Christmas Massacre
- Dec 15, 2019 The Enfield Poltergeist: London's Most Famous Haunting
- Dec 8, 2019 Dorm of Death's Richard Speck
- Dec 8, 2019 Star Wars Holiday Special Disaster
- Nov 20, 2019 The Crystal Skull
- October 2019 2
- September 2019 3
- August 2019 3
- July 2019 5
- Jun 29, 2019 The North Hollywood Shootout
- Jun 26, 2019 The Northridge Earthquake: 25 Years Ago
- Jun 22, 2019 The Haunted Knickerbocker Hotel
- Jun 19, 2019 The Unsolved Villisca Axe Murders
- Jun 15, 2019 Murder on Greyhound Bus 1170
- Jun 12, 2019 Discover The Integratron Sound Bath
- Jun 4, 2019 5 Worst Amusement Park Ride Accidents
- May 22, 2019 Touring Eastern State Penitentiary
- April 2019 3
- March 2019 2
- Feb 19, 2019 Dismaland: Banksy's Bemusement Theme Park
- January 2019 2
- Dec 16, 2018 Haunted Stanley Hotel and The Shining
- Dec 12, 2018 Haunted History of Alcatraz
- Dec 6, 2018 The Landmark Motor Hotel: The Death of Janis Joplin
- Dec 5, 2018 Anton LaVey's Black House & The Church of Satan
- Dec 2, 2018 Haunted Hotel Hell
- November 2018 1
- Oct 1, 2018 Famous Movie and TV Homes in Los Angeles
- September 2018 3