The Los Feliz Murder House in Los Angeles ☠️
Murder in 1959 in The Los Feliz House
One of the single creepiest places in Los Angeles, isn't in some desolate haunted house on the outskirts of town. It's nestled in the coveted quaint area of east-ish LA called Los Feliz. The home had been untouched for years since the murder in 1959. The Los Feliz Murder House, located at 2475 Glendower Place, has been discussed on the Ghost Town Podcast, but for a more verbal deep dive on this murder mystery, I will leave it to Curbed LA:
"The story of the murder-suicide itself is more or less the same one that has been circulating on the internet for ages: at 4:30 in the morning on December 6, 1959, cardiologist Harold Perelson struck his sleeping wife Lillian in the head with a ball-peen hammer, then left her to asphyxiate on her own blood and he went into his teenage daughter Judye's room, where he struck her in the head with the same hammer. The hit was off, though, and Judye started screaming, waking the neighbors with screams of "Don't kill me" as her father told her to "Lay still" and "Keep quiet." Judye escaped, found her mother, then ran out of the house, found a neighbor, and called the police."
Perelson commited suicide around that time using a tranquilizer/acid cocktail.
"Internet rumors say there's still a Christmas tree and wrapped presents left in the house from that night in 1959, trespassers have found Spaghetti-Os and Life magazines, and you don't have to look very hard for someone to tell you it's haunted. No one, though, seems to know why Perelson would've committed this horrible act, or why the house would be left to decay for more than 50 years."
Some photos pre-clean up:
Something about a chair in front of a stove makes me uneasy...
There is no doubt in my mind that this doll comes to life when she feels like it.
No one is really sure why Perelson murdered his wife and attempted to murder his daughter. There was talk of financial issues, and I could imagine the stress of keeping up appearances, and dealing with mental instabilities could come a crossroads. The fact that he was a doctor with access to prescriptions could have been an issue. In the 1950's people weren't open I imagine to freely speaking about ANY issues, never mind those of a mental or emotional nature.
Atlas Obscura discusses the next owners of the house" A year after the gruesome murder-suicide, the mansion was sold to a couple, Emily and Julian Enriquez, who only used the 5,050-square-foot house as a storage site. Neighbors recall seeing the couple bringing boxes to the mansion, but never staying overnight. In 1994, Rudy Enriquez inherited the house and, like his parents, neither stayed nor made any changes to the Perelson’s old decor."
Who are the Enriquez's? Why this house? Did they have any connection to it or the Perleson's previously? Why was it seemingly untouched for 50 years?
The most current info I can find on the state of the house is from Atlas Obscura: the house was sold in July 2016 for $2.3 million as a probate sale.
A "fun" fact, the LA Murder House was the inspiration for season one of American Horror Story: Murder House.
Listen to more on the Los Feliz Murder House in Los Angeles on Ghost Town:
- April 2021 1
- Mar 29, 2021 What Is It Like To Live In A Real Haunted House?
- Mar 24, 2021 The Cecil Hotel Elisa Lam Mystery
- Mar 16, 2021 The Old Los Angeles Zoo
- Mar 12, 2021 What Happened to DHL Founder Larry Hillblom?
- Mar 10, 2021 Emperor Norton: America’s San Francisco Emperor
- Mar 6, 2021 The Haunted Ebay Painting | The Hands Resist Him
- Mar 3, 2021 The Dating Game Killer (Rodney Alcala)
- Feb 26, 2021 Did Unsolved Mysteries Ever Solve a Mystery?
- Feb 26, 2021 The Mysterious Kryptos CIA Sculpture
- Feb 25, 2021 The 7 Wives of Jerry Lee Lewis
- Feb 24, 2021 The Jenny Jones Show Murder
- Feb 20, 2021 The True Story Behind Netflix Drama Lost Girls
- Feb 17, 2021 The I Feel Fantastic Video Mystery
- Feb 10, 2021 Dyatlov Pass Incident Mystery Solved?
- Feb 9, 2021 5 Chilling Facts About the Cecil Hotel (Crime Scene: The Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel)
- Feb 8, 2021 5 Most Scariest Haunted Places in California (Cecil Hotel & More)
- Feb 8, 2021 The World's First Text Message
- Feb 8, 2021 Curse of the Power Rangers
- Feb 5, 2021 Pepsi AM Breakfast Soda Disaster
- Feb 5, 2021 The 1984 Apple Macintosh Super Bowl Commercial Story
- Feb 4, 2021 Miss American Vampire Beauty Contest
- Feb 1, 2021 The Hawthorne Mall - How the Abandoned Plaza Looks in 2021
- January 2021 3
- Dec 15, 2020 Who Is Benjaman Kyle?
- October 2020 4
- Sep 10, 2020 Action Park: The World's Most Dangerous Amusement Park
- Sep 4, 2020 The Los Feliz Murder House in Los Angeles ☠️
- Sep 2, 2020 The Toxic Lady Death Mystery
- Aug 11, 2020 Atomic Bomb Tourism in 1950's Las Vegas
- July 2020 2
- Jun 17, 2020 Chronovisor Vatican Time Travel Viewer
- May 2020 2
- Apr 7, 2020 Why is Poveglia Plague Island Off Limits?
- March 2020 5
- February 2020 3
- Jan 29, 2020 The Philadelphia MOVE Bombing
- Dec 30, 2019 Y2K Panic: 20 Years Later
- Dec 25, 2019 Killer Santa: Covina Christmas Massacre
- Dec 15, 2019 The Enfield Poltergeist: London's Most Famous Haunting
- Dec 8, 2019 Dorm of Death's Richard Speck
- Dec 8, 2019 Star Wars Holiday Special Disaster
- Nov 20, 2019 The Crystal Skull
- October 2019 2
- September 2019 3
- August 2019 3
- July 2019 5
- Jun 29, 2019 The North Hollywood Shootout
- Jun 26, 2019 The Northridge Earthquake: 25 Years Ago
- Jun 22, 2019 The Haunted Knickerbocker Hotel
- Jun 19, 2019 The Unsolved Villisca Axe Murders
- Jun 15, 2019 Murder on Greyhound Bus 1170
- Jun 12, 2019 Discover The Integratron Sound Bath
- Jun 4, 2019 5 Worst Amusement Park Ride Accidents
- May 22, 2019 Touring Eastern State Penitentiary
- April 2019 3
- March 2019 2
- Feb 19, 2019 Dismaland: Banksy's Bemusement Theme Park
- January 2019 2
- Dec 16, 2018 Haunted Stanley Hotel and The Shining
- Dec 12, 2018 Haunted History of Alcatraz
- Dec 6, 2018 The Landmark Motor Hotel: The Death of Janis Joplin
- Dec 5, 2018 Anton LaVey's Black House & The Church of Satan
- Dec 2, 2018 Haunted Hotel Hell
- November 2018 1
- Oct 1, 2018 Famous Movie and TV Homes in Los Angeles
- September 2018 3